- This event has passed.
Netherlands OPACHE meeting
September 21 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
The Open Panel of Commission for Hydrology Experts (OPACHE) is the reservoir of scientific and technical expertise that the Commission for Hydrology (CHy) uses to fulfil its mission. Activities include participating in specialized hydrologic, hydrometric, and water resources studies; serving on expert advisory teams; contributing to manuals, guidance material, and technical reports; and participating in workshops and expert meetings.
The Netherlands has nominated 6 extra OPACHE experts during the CHy-15. This brings the Dutch OPACHE team to 9 active panel experts.
These Dutch OPACHE members are the Dutch expert input for the HWRP of WMO. The Hydrology and Water Resources Programme (HWRP) is concerned with the assessment of the quantity and quality of water resources, both surface and groundwater, in order to meet the needs of society, to permit mitigation of water-related hazards, and to maintain or enhance the condition of the global environment. It includes standardization of various aspects of hydrological observations and the organized transfer of technologies for enabling Hydrological Services to provide the hydrological data and information required for the sustainable development of their countries. It provides advice to Members on flood management policy and assists them in their effort to adopt Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) with an emphasis on practical applications.
Main goal of the meeting
Such a group of experts can function as separate entities, but will achieve more if there is a common goal and internal communication keeps them alert and in connection with the Dutch developments and opportunities.
This workshop will thus aim at forming a strategy for cooperation between the OPACHE experts, in order to:
- Form agreements on their personal interests concerning topics in HWRP, for example:
- Information from the experts that were already active in the OPACHE on what they have been doing until now and what type of input can be contributed.
- Identifying ideas/topics that can only be presented by jointly drawing attention from WMO.
- Can and do we want to get risk-based decision making on the basis of probabilistic hydro-meteorological predictions more in the WMO-agenda?
- SIDS water resources
- Find strategic input lines from Dutch water Sector into HWRP via OPACHE members
These topics can then also be linked to other on-going processes:
- 8th WWF (Water and Climate)
- Focus topic of the Regional process: Water and adaptation to climate change (including mitigation strategies?)
- The Netherlands is theme coordinator
- The Netherlands will host the Global Centre of Excellence for Climate Adaptation:
- Locate lines in which HWRP can give input to Global Centre for Climate Adaptation via OPACHE members.
- Commission of Hydrology for the Rhine (CHR) and the recent research done, and the possible follow-up of that research. See the following post.
Start at 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
1. Introductory round – who is in the room (15 min)
And a general introduction from Sandra on why we are together
2. Brainstorm session of experienced NL OPACHE member Micha Werner (perhaps together with Albrecht/Henny) (10 min)
3. Point of view Hendrik Buiteveld, Rijkswaterstaat (Representing Roeland Allewijn as Hydrological Adviser at WMO) (10 min)
4. Global centre of excellence on climate change, Christiaan Wallet (10 min) (TBC)
5. World café discussion about the different topics/ideas (90 min)
6. Summary of the discussions and decided on activities (30 min)
Drinks afterwards of course